[Skip to content]

Aragon Housing Association
Search our Site

Supported housing

Who should consider supported housing?

There are a number of reasons why you might want to consider supported housing. Most supported housing is for people without children, except for mother and baby units and domestic abuse refuges. The level of support available varies between schemes from low to high and you will be assessed to find out which is the most appropriate for you. Who assesses you will depend on what type of supported accommodation you need. In most cases the assessment will be carried out by the accommodation provider but in some cases, such as extra care older person schemes and learning disability schemes, a specialist assessment will be made by the Adult Social Care team at the relevant council.

What types of supported housing are available?

Types of supported housing include:

  • Domestic abuse refuges - accommodation for people fleeing from domestic abuse. These are generally for women and children, although there are a few refuges for men around the country. The accommodation can vary from shared houses to self-contained units. For more information, see our domestic abuse information page.

  • Mother and baby units - accommodation for single women who need support and training to assist in raising a child.

  • Learning disability schemes - a wide range of accommodation with specific support for all learning disabilities. This ranges from traditional residential homes to shared houses and self-contained units. Our sister organisation, MacIntyre Housing Association, specialises in this type of accommodation.

  • Extra care schemes - accommodaion for older people who require some personal care support but still wish to live independently rather than consider residential care or nursing care.

  • Foyers - accommodation for people between the ages of 16 and 25 with support to return to

     education or training and essential life skills.
  • Hostels - accommodation ranging from shared houses to self-contained units. These may have age restrictions or specialist support such as mental health support or support to deal with addictions.

  • Night shelters - emergency accommodation for a limited time where people have nowhere to stay at all. The shelters will be linked to other support providers and may assist people to move on to other accommodation or refer them to relevant support agencies.

How do I apply? 

The amount of supported housing is quite limited and some specialist accommodation may only be available in larger towns. If you think supported housing is a good option for you, you should talk to anyone who provides you with support (social worker, mental health team, probation etc) or contact Central Bedfordshire Council on 0300 300 8000.  

They will be able to discuss housing options with you , including the housing register if this is the right option for you. There is also information available on their website.

How helpful or informative is this page?