Independent Living

We want to ensure that you are supported to remain living independently in your own home for as long as possible.

We can offer supported homes for anyone over the age of 55.

We can offer unfurnished flats or bungalows for the needs of people who may require support to enable independent living.

Aragon Housing Association gives a level of support, which is tailored to enable tenants to live a full life, while ensuring peace of mind for them and their families.

This type of housing model should not be confused with residential or nursing homes.

View our schemes

Our vision is to provide choice to our residents through a needs-led service that delivers support, tailored to the individual. We aim to work flexibly to meet the changing circumstances of our residents.

Residents receive support from a dedicated staff member.

Independent living services are provided across different types of accommodation such as:

  • flats in a block, known as sheltered or independent living schemes
  • flats where care can be provided on site, known as extra care
  • groups of bungalows in the wider community.

A 24 hour alarm service is available for all of these properties. - Find out more

Depending on the type of accommodation, you will have either a fixed pull cord alarm or an alarm unit with a pendant. This is connected to a control centre, which operates all year round, 24 hours a day. This will connect to the scheme office when staff are on site and directly to the contact centre at all other times.

You will be asked to provide the names of people we can contact in an emergency and any relevant medical details when you move in. These are kept confidentially and will be used in the event of an emergency by either contact centre or Independent Living staff.

Contact centre staff are fully trained to deal with sensitive and emergency situations and, where necessary, will summon appropriate help from staff, family or emergency services when the alarm is raised.

In the event of a power cut, or telephone line failure, the alarm service may be disrupted. We would ask residents to report any fault with the alarm system as a priority.

Who can apply?

You can apply for retirement housing if you are aged 55 or over.

If you are a couple, only one of you needs to be aged 55 or over in order to apply. We will also accept applications from people under 55 with a disability or have a medical condition/s.

We will accept applications for retirement housing regardless of whether you rent or own your current home. Your financial circumstances will be taken into account along with your reasons for wanting to move.

How to apply?

For most of our schemes you are required to apply through Central Bedfordshire Council. For further details please view the following details to direct you.

If you would like to apply to any of the three schemes above, which are not part of the Central Bedfordshire Council application process, please contact Customer Services and ask to speak to one of our Supported Living Team who will be able to help.

encourage promotes all our Supported Living, Independent Living, Retirement, Extra Care, Domestic Violence Refuges and CASS.

One of or aims as a Independent Living Service is to ensure that you are supported to remain living independently in your own home for as long as possible.

Services we offer to help you stay in your own home.

Spotted an error on this page?

Report Error

Please fill out the form with details of the error.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.