Help with Gardening
We run an Assisted Gardening Scheme to provide grass and hedge cutting for older or disabled tenants who cannot cope with their gardens on their own.
You can apply for help with grass and/or hedge cutting by completing the online form below, customers must fulfil certain criteria to be eligible for assistance.
Who is eligible for the scheme?
You are eligible if you:
- Are unable to carry out the work yourself
- Are aged 60 years or over or in receipt of disability benefit
- Are in receipt of a means tested benefit
- Have no one living with you who could be reasonably expected to help
- Have no relatives within a 10 mile radius that could carry out the work
- Sign a declaration to say you will let GUHG know if your circumstances change.
Is there anyone else who can help?
If you are not eligible for help from GUHG, or if you would like to consider other options, you may wish to contact the following:
Age UK Bedfordshire
78-82 Bromham Road
Tel: 01234 360 510
What gardening help can we provide?
- Lawn mowing and strimming of edges 11 times per year starting in April
- Grass clippings are removed on every cut
- Hedge cutting twice a year, usually in May/June and September/October
- Hedge trimmings are removed on every cut
- The top of the hedge is trimmed if it is less than six feet high. If your hedge is over six feet high we can reduce the height if you agree. If you do not agree we can only cut the sides of the hedge
- If the hedge is shared we can cut the top to centre-line only
What gardening services does GUHG not provide?
- Removing weeds
- Mowing ‘rough’ or weeded areas of grass
- Pruning, e.g. shrubs, roses, trees